16 February 2009

singles awareness day

ever so painfully aware of the fact it was a holiday on saturday, I ventured out of my home after a friend called to have lunch. she was taking her son, and he wanted to go to a buffet, so we decided to go. upon arrival (to a very packed lot), a sign on the door informed us that they would be serving dinner all day long. yeah. whoo-hoo... riight - it was just a way for them to charge the extra three or four dollars all day long. after lunch I decided to brave the craft store. you would not believe, well, perhaps you might believe, how many people were there. and it was not just women, like it usually is. a bunch of husbands and boyfriends were there too. hmm...suspicious. I have been wanting a clock in my bathroom for awhile, but I have not found the right one. so after much contemplation, I bought the stuff to make one. next stop was costco, for gas and tp. again, there were a lot of people there. but it was a saturday. and families often shop at costco together, so it wasn't quite as suspicious. I made my way back to the tp, and also picked up some cat litter. (did anyone know that they have moved the fruit/vegetable section at the costco in richland/kennewick? I think it's new...but I have doubts due to my lack of observation skills). as I was winding my way around the hordes of people to get to the cash registers, I had the thought, "I should buy some flowers for myself....I deserve it." just as I pulled up to the floral section, a costco employee pulled a rose out of a bouquet and handed it to me, saying, "happy valentines day." awww..... seriously, made my day. seriously. final destination was walmart. just for a few groceries and stuff, oh and a cheap clock. I realized on my way to costco that the clock mechanism I purchased at the craft store was nice, but the hands were too small for my project, and it was twice as expensive as the cheap clock I ended up purchasing at walmart. finally - home, where I proceeded to make my clock and craft project instead of doing the homework I needed to do, while I watched fun chick flicks like how to lose a guy in 10 days (just the end), sweet home alabama (the whole movie - and one of my favorites), and a few episodes of friends (perhaps not considered a chick flick, but they made me laugh).

here is a picture of the rose I received from the very sweet and thoughtful lady at costco. she will never know how special she made me feel.
and here is my finished clock/craft project. I just painted the edges of a 12x12 canvas, glued a piece of 12x12 scrapbook paper to that, and then mod podged it all over. craft warehouse had the clock plastic with the saying on it, which was also glued on. it's really, really easy. and finally, a plea for help. I bought this beautiful bowl from ikea the last time I was there...(january maybe?) it totally fits my personality, and my living room. it is now on my coffee/puzzle table, but I think it needs something else. I want to put something in it, but I don't know what. a while ago I bought two decorative balls from joann fabrics, but they only had two and they looked incomplete. I kind of want it to be nice, but not really fancy. they also can't be too light, or my cats will take them out and tear them apart. I was thinking candles, but I don't know how I would arrange them. the colors of my living room are brown, green, and yellow, and I would like to incorporate the last two colors onto my table (right now it has that brown table cloth and the beautiful bowl). help me.... please....!

5 comments:

joking said...

I love the clock and other pictures you put in the bathroom. It looks great!!

R and K said...

Your clock project turned out really well. I'm inspired. I LOVE that IKEA bowl, too. I almost buy it every time I'm there, so I'm glad you got it. As I was scrolling down after reading "I bought this beautiful bowl from ikea," I was hoping that was the one. But I have no hints for what to do with it, or else I would have bought it myself. :)

Jaclyn said...

Your clock...beautiful, and your bowl. I saw that bowl at Ikea last time I was there and loved it as well, but alas with a toddler in the house decided against it. I do think whatever you put it in should be a set of three though, keep it balanced and feng shui. :)

Bree said...

Laska - seriously you are so creative!!! I envy you and wish I found the time to do projects like you. LOVE the clock and pics. Hmmm, thinking on the bowl....in the meantime, some orange cuties would look nice in there, plus you could eat them :-) I start work again soon. Can't wait to see you!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I love your clock Laska--really, really cute. And the bowl is wonderful! However, i don't have an idea for it, other than to say it's really attractive.

Glad you got a rose. Like you said, you deserved it.