22 March 2009

school

with two weeks left of class, I thought I would write a quick update on everything that is going on.

like I said...two weeks left of class. CRAZY!! and two weeks is really only 5ish days (we have to go in on tuesday for a meeting, but it's not really a school day). the next week we have two finals...one on monday and one on wednesday. I still have one big project to finish and two papers to write (one isn't due until mid april) but after april 8th I'm done. with class.

for the last monthish of school I have 120 hours of practicum. it's kind of like nursing's version of an internship. we just found out our placements today... and I will be working on the pediatrics floor at kadlec. yeah! no one else I know from my class wanted peds, so I figured that I probably got it...and I did. I am not sure about all the details, but I'm really excited!

in other news, I volunteered to be a co-chairperson for convocation (nursing graduation). that means that another girl and I are kind of in charge of putting on convocation. kind of. we put together committees that are in charge of different aspects of convocation (music, food, decorations). we make sure they are getting everything together, and that they know how to get what they want for the ceremony. more or less. we are also helping out with the programs and posters. we don't get to design them, but we explained what we wanted them to look like. I guess it's kind of hard to explain, but it's been fun...it keeps me busy.

our class also voted on a faculty and class speaker. and after having to wait for about a week, I found out that I was voted the class speaker. CRAZY! so now I have to start thinking about what I want to say. I get so nervous speaking in front of people, so I don't know why I want to do this, but I'm kind of excited.

I've also started applying for jobs. which is actually extremely stressful. so far I've only finished one for the local hospital, but I have plans to apply at hospitals all over the state. unfortunately I decided not to apply to any hospitals in utah - unless I find something really amazing. I would get paid more here, and apartments cost about the same. and since I have so much student loan debt (darn two degrees)...that I have to think about grown up stuff now. there is also a program in washington where if you work agree to work for certain hospitals (that have high turn-over or have needs) for three years, the state will pay off a certain percentage of qualified student loans. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

4 comments:

heather said...

Wow Laska! You really were meant to go to nursing school. Look how successful you are! Congratulations on getting voted as the speaker. Isn't that basically like winning Miss Congeniality? I'd vote for you if I were there. You rock.

Kevin and Eliza said...

Hooray for almost being done! I hope the job hunting goes well.

Bree said...

A LOT of wonderful things going on for you....Congrats and hang in there! I'm so excited for you and all that lies ahead. And you will rock your class speech! Good luck with everything!

laska said...

thanks guys! :)

actually at the same time we voted for a speaker we voted for two other awards - the person you'd want to take care of you if you were in the hospital, and ms/mr congeniality: most tolerable most of the time. I snuck a peak at the awards, and I didn't get either. but the guy who won mr congeniality and I were tied for class speaker (but he didn't want to do it...)