18 April 2009

I must have had a sign on my head

knowing that I wouldn't be able to go shopping tomorrow, I decided to head to walmart this evening for a few supplies. I also needed to print of some pictures for a project I'm working on, so after I arrived at the store, I headed directly to the photo area - not wanting to wait and it to be closed. I was lucky - the kodak printer/machine was available, and I put in my jump drive and got to work. there was only one other family there, working on one of the non-kodak printer/machines. the walmart employee who was working at the photo area had nothing to do...and started making small talk with me. I was wearing one of my byu t-shirts, and he asked me how far provo was from slc. he then went on to talk about going to wendover...going gambling and having a little to drink while he was gambling....and how he could get a really good deal...and how they treated him like a king while he was there. it made me laugh inside. while my pictures were printing he took my little machine receipt to print out a total. he then brought back a couple of envelopes, and said "well, I only charged you for 4 of the big pictures. I know that they're really expensive and you look like you could use a break." stunned, I said, "you really didn't need to do that." he replied, "I know, but I felt like I should." he saved me six dollars. what a sweet guy.

after I was done printing the pictures, I walked around the craft area, and then to the grocery side to get some stuff. I realized that I was really only hungry for fresh fruit and veges....but then I realized that I wanted some chicken too. so I went to the deli counter, and there were two employees helping me - and they started joking around with me and each other. talking about the nice day and how they both wanted to leave. it was really funny.

then I went to check out. I went to one of those twenty items or less lanes...and I watched as the cashier walked away, and then came back with a stuffed duck from the "welcome to walmart" person. it was one of those baby toys that when you push the foot you can hear a cute baby laugh...the one that makes you want to smile and laugh. :) so she started talking about she should get it for her kids...and hoping it was an easter item so it would be 75% off. so she price checked it in the middle of ringing my stuff up. unfortunately it was not an easter item, but she continued to talk to me. then after she rang up my pictures she told me that she really needed to get some pictures printed...and about how she had two cameras, and her son had broken one of them. she needed to find a way to get the film out of the camera. she continued to talk to me well after she had finished ringing my purchases up, and after I had paid. I tried to wish her luck many times, but she just kept talking. I couldn't help but smile.

after I finally got away, I walked out to my car. the guy next to me had just gotten into his truck and rolled down his window. I wanted to make a comment about what a beautiful evening it was - the perfect night for a drive with the windows down - when all of the sudden he turned to me and asked something about my car, and how he thought it was a hatchback (because I had the trunk open). he continued to talk to me for about 10 minutes about my car, and about different cars he had, and wanted. and how he wanted to buy some car that he could put a bed (and sink and toilet in...I was a little confused at that point, because it sounded like he wanted to put a bed, toilet and sink into a car the size of mine [vw beetle]...which sounds pretty near impossible) so he could save money on hotel rooms because he traveled around the country a lot. he had the most pleasant southern accent. he finally said goodbye, and drove away.

I had the biggest smile on my face as I drove away from the store. I think I really needed an experience like this. it was a really good shopping trip.

No comments: