so my new job is good. the hours are long, but the job is good. I especially like working in the hospital. there is not as much toileting as there is in a nursing home, and I don't have to feed the patients. well...not as much. and things vary from day to day, which is also very nice. I have had so many crazy experiences in just one week. I thought I would share a few.
first off, I almost hit three deer even before my first shift. one was on the road on the trip down to grand coulee, and the other two were near the top of the dam on the way to work the next morning. I wanted to stop and take pictures, but 1- I didn't have my camera, 2- they were freaked out, and 3- I was on a highway...not the best place to stop. but it was pretty cool to see them.
twelve hour shifts both such and are cool. it's nice to get so many hours done and over with in just one (or a few days)...and not have to work so many days/week. but at the same time six to six is all day. all day long. so all I pretty much do is work, go back to my room, eat dinner, watch tv for an hour, and go to bed. I think that I am going to try and do more stuff the next few weeks (like go for a walk and see the town or something) rather than watch tv. so at least I am outside for some of the day.
I have worked with smokers before. and don't get me wrong, while I do not endorse smoking, I am not judging their choices either. but when my coworkers have to take so many smoking breaks that they smoke an entire pack of cigarettes in one shift, I think that is a little excessive. only because they are gone for about 10 to 15 minutes at a time smoking one at a time (which equals??? I have no idea how many cigarettes are in a pack) - but that leaves me alone on the floor doing their job for that amount of time. and the break I get is for lunch. the term "cigarette break" literally applies...and it's not very cool. only because they leave me doing their work. okay - I'm off now.
my favorite story, however, came on my last day at work. it was saturday, and I had picked up the day because the girl who was supposed to be working broke her wrist or ankle or something (so I got all three of her saturdays). I had three of my own patients, and one was a lady I had taken care of for the previous two days. she has alzheimers, and was extremely out of it at times. so saturday she slept in through breakfast and lunch, and around 1330 (military time...I'm trying to learn), she woke up. so I got her out of bed, weighed her, and sat her down on her cammode to void. but she didn't realize that she was on the cammode. she kept saying, "I need to go to the bathroom...will you help me" and statements that are similar. that went on for 20 minutes, and I even got the nurse in the room, and we kept saying, "you're on the toilet...just relax and go." when she didn't after 30 minutes, we got her back in to bed, and had her start eating. but she kept saying that she needed to go the bathroom. so, once again, I got her on the cammode, and again, she started in on the, "where is you're mother? can she help us to the bathroom?" statements. so I got down in her face and said, "you are on the toilet. you need to relax and go pee. just relax." and again, she started to say, "I know I've got to go to the bathroom..can you help me. .... here it comes..." it was so funny because she actually went. it seriously took about an hour with her to get everything done (which means I neglected my other patients, but I did get a funny story out of it).
so that, in a nutshell is work. I go back to grand coulee tomorrow evening and work on wednesday. summer is going to be one interesting one!
4 comments:
sounds like a very eventful job! That story was kind of sad, but funny too! So do you go home each night and just get up super early in the morning? I hope all goes well!
yes, we will totally see you! Maybe even have you watch Cambree once in awhile!!!! We are very excited!
hilarious. I think old people, no matter what their mental capability, are so much fun. Those really wise, shrewd old people make you laugh because they have no shame and can point out inconsistencies in life that the rest of us are too wrapped up in to notice. And those senile ones, well, they provide stories like the one you just told. So hurray for old people!
PS-- Your blog title makes me think, "just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming"
And I think the one complaint I hear from almost everyone who starts a job anywhere is how all the smokers do 3/4 of the work for the same pay. STINKY!
Post a Comment