23 August 2007

one week down, the rest of my life to go

so. school started this week. and what a crazy week it has been. first off, I have to say that I hate spending money that isn't really mine. but there are so many things that I have to have for school...books, scrubs, shoes, stethoscope, more books, medical dictionary...crazy! and that's not even including the stuff for my apartment. luckily, my friend is letting me borrow most of the books I need. also, I went to vancouver (wa) last weekend, and I was able to purchase most of the things I need for the apartment at ikea in portland, where there is no sales tax. so I bought my bed frame and a bookcase and then all the little stuff.

unfortunately, class revealed more books that I needed, so I had to buy a couple more yesterday, and I also bought my scrubs and my shoes. so after I pay rent and stock my kitchen with some much needed food on saturday, I vow to try not to spend any money for at least a week. riiight.

so, school is good. I actually decided yesterday that I am really excited to be a nurse. (I did make a fool of myself in the lab today, so maybe I should change my mind....). but I haven't been actually excited about it all before now. it has been more of a, "yeah, I think that's what I want to do" but no real excitement. so it was nice to enjoy sitting in a four hour class and realize that the things that I am learning will have some practical application.

my schedule for the fist four weeks of class goes as follows:
monday - 8 to 12 - lab work (working on the skills I will need in the nursing home)
tuesday - 1 to 5 - two classes: research and assessment
wednesday - 8 to 5 (with a one hour break from 12-1) - three classes: ethics/practice (I'm not exactly sure...),
pharm/pathophys, and gerontology
thursday - same as monday
friday - 9 to 10 - pharm/pathophys review

after the first month, we start attending clinicals. so monday I will have nothing, and thursday I will be in clinical all day. then friday I will pick up an assessment seminar and we will also have our clinical conference.

class itself was, for the most part, a review this week. especially in lab, where it was all about my cna skills. but I did make a fool out of myself - we were transfering a client/patient/resident from a gurney (sp??) to the bed, and I was put in charge of counting ("we'll move on the count of three, okay? one - two - three..."). and I was about to start when the instructor corrected my positioning. and then when we tried to move the patient, the bed was higher, and I actually couldn't move my body backwards and move the transfer board up, so I almost dropped the resident. it was awful. I guess I just need more practice.

well, I also get to move into my apartment on saturday. I am way excited. I think everyone in my house is happy for me to leave (at least my brothers are). I actually have to stop by the office there on my way out of town so I can get the paperwork I need so I can have electricity when I move in.

yeah!! it has begun!!

1 comment:

Tiffany Fackrell said...

sounds like a load, come and visit anytime you need a break!!! I don't do anything all day!!!