24 September 2007

the odd pleasure of piercing skin

as I sit in the computer lab, I contemplate the vastness and complexities of this world. not really. I actually just contemplate my desire to become a nurse. It's a lot of work. sometimes I'm not sure it's all worth it. one of my friends in the class, and the girl who was supposed to be my partner for all of the assessment stuff decided that nursing wasn't for her, and so she quit last week. I was pretty upset by it to be honest. I'm pretty sure that I would do the same thing if I didn't know, without a doubt, that this is what I'm supposed to be doing. I did really well on the tests I had last week, and I think with a fair amount of studying (before tomorrow) I will do well on the tests this week. so that's good. and I have finally come to a point where studying isn't like pulling teeth. so that's good. and over the past two weeks I have successfully given three shots on my classmates (I practiced on...well, I'm not sure what to call them, but they were just material and fabric made to look like human flesh...). I cried when I gave my first shot. I was shaking so badly and I felt just like I do when I try to give a talk at church. luckily, things have gotten better, and just today I gave my first IM shot in somebody's tushie. poor thing. it was the second time someone practiced on her. my next big feat to pass off is catheterization. yeah! kind of. I watched the video and I probably could have passed it off because we do the actually process on a dummy...but I probably should practice, just for the sake of practicing. but school, overall, is good.

I went home this past weekend. It was nice to have someone else in the house besides me...and my kitten. yes, I adopted a kitten from the humane society just over a week ago. she is super cute, and as soon as I have the internet at my house I will post pictures. her name is rory, she is about 9 weeks old, she loves to play, and she hates to ride in the car and hates the vet. poor rory. she has another visit to the vet to get some shots today. but I really like having her at home because I don't get quite so lonely at night.

I am officially a member of the richland ysa branch. apparently they read my name in yesterday, and the relief society already called to see if they could come visit this wednesday. sometimes I think I am so busy now, I don't know how (other than going to church on sundays) church stuff is going to fit in to everything. but I realized that it should be the other way around. I should be figuring out how school is going to fit in around church. it's funny how quickly our priorities get out of whack.

so...that's it. my friends at bbcc started school today, and to all of my nursing friends there...good luck. we all need it!

4 comments:

Cassidy said...

would you relate piercing scin to popping a zit? Eww yuck. Sounds like things are going well. I'm excited you are going to be a nurse. I want a kitty. *sigh*.

laska said...

no...I guess I would say it's more like going through some kind of weird fabric. except it bleeds. :)

heather said...

YAY! I'm so glad school is going well and I'm very happy you have a kitten to keep you company. I was thinking about you this week.

Tiarnna said...

Woohoo for a new kitty!! We just adopted one too! Found it at my parents with the skin from its lower jaw missing. Poor thing.

Woohoo for shots! Not sure when we start ours. We start clinicals next week though. Eeek! I go to Soaplake on Thursdays. And its the same place for the whole quarter. Oye. Those are going to be some early mornings!!

Got your message....Iden decided my cell phone needed to hang out in the toilet, so its not working. I put my sim into R's phone once a day to get my messages. Uhg.

Anywho, I will try blogging some more. Maybe. LOL