10 September 2008

to peg

my dad's hunting dog, peg, hasn't been doing very well recently. we noticed something was wrong when she started limping. since I don't live at home, I'm not sure if my parent's knew something was really wrong at first, or if they, like me, thought it was just a burr in her paw or something. however, things just kept getting worse. my dad tried giving her some penicillin, thinking that it might be an infection, but that didn't help either. he finally took her to the vet, and they did some tests and told my dad that she either had some kind of tumor, which probably meant cancer, or she had a bone infection or bone cancer. my dad tried giving her some pain medication for a couple of weeks, but peg continued to get worse...she wasn't eating or drinking, and my dad thinks she lost somewhere between 20-30 or more pounds. he finally decided to take her to the vet today. it was a sad time for everyone, even my dad who doesn't often get too emotional. peg has been his hunting partner for so many years now, that I can't even remember when she became a part of the family. I don't think that I ever really like her...she was really ugly, dirty, and smelly (my dad never would bathe her)...she was extremely loyal to my dad, and she was always so excited to get outside and run and hunt. she was really good at what she did. I guess you never really know how much someone or something affects your life until they are gone.

I'd like to thank t...I appreciate you not making my dad put her down last year. I'm glad that he got one more year with her. so thanks.

2 comments:

Tiarnna said...

((((((hugs)))))

heather said...

give your own little animal friends and extra tight squeeze for me today, since I can't give you one. We feel for your dad too.