yes that's right. drama, drama drama. I think that my class is the most drama-filled group of students to ever be enrolled in the nursing program. okay, well, we're probably not the most drama-filled ever, and being such a tight knit group of people for such a long time (only two years, I know - not really that long) is bound to create some drama. but it seems like every little thing that happens just creates more drama. perhaps it's me. maybe I create drama just through my very presence. hmm...shall I use my power for good or for evil??
**insert - this is a very long rant. I had no idea I could be so long winded (yeah right, I did too). this is more for me to get out of my system and move on. too much drama is not good for the soul.
the newest drama centers around one particular girl in one particular class. the class isn't very exciting most of the time (it's a leadership class), and we are very easily distracted. the problem is that we were all separated into groups to do a couple of big group projects. I very much dislike group projects. there are usually one or two people who end up doing nothing and getting the same good grade as the rest of the non-slackers in the group. well, that's the drama surrounding this one particular girl. she didn't pay much attention in class (well, to be honest, who did?), but when we had class time to work on our big group paper, she did not help. on the day of our group project, she was hurt and ended up sitting around, making dirty comments while the rest of us were working. the most recent infraction occurred just last week. our big group paper was due last thursday. we decided, as a group, that instead of trying to get together as a group of nine to write the paper together, we would split up the questions among all of us, and each person would answer their question and send it to one certain member of the group. she then took each person's answers and chose the best parts to put together the paper. she then sent the paper to me, and I did the all the apa stuff, proofread it, and sent it in. well, after the paper was turned in, the girl who combined all of the individual pieces told the rest of the group that this "drama" girl (we don't actually call her that, I was trying to keep all of the "girls" straight) didn't send her the assignment on the day we had previously specified. she was reminded to do the assignment at least two times the day it was due, and the next day finally sent the combining girl two sentences on her question. the combining girl realized that drama girl hadn't put any thought or time into the paper, and so she didn't include the sentence in the paper. combining girl told us this on the day our paper was due, and needless to say, we were all a little miffed.
we then found out that on the paper itself we were supposed to label each section with the group member's name who had helped with that part. since I had already turned in the paper, the five members of our group who were there wrote an email to the professor, explaining who did what part. we left drama girl off the list of who-did-what, and explained why she was not on the list. fast forward to this week. drama girl looked at her overall grade for this class a couple of days ago, and called her friend, combining girl, to see what she had. drama girl's grade was substantially lower than anyone else's grade. so combining girl felt bad and sent an email to the professor asking her not to fail drama girl just because of the email that we had sent. so then, just before class yesterday, the professor called the school and asked to talk to each of us individually to see what part we had done on the paper. when drama girl talked to the prof, she told her that she and the other girl who did the same question (there are 8 girls and 1 boy in my group...sorry for all the girls...) worked on the assignment together. the other same-assignment girl was called back in to talk to the prof, and then the telephone conversation was over.
but people in the group started feeling bad (esp combining girl). we realized that we hadn't told drama girl that we sent this email explaining who-did-what, and that we knew she hadn't done anything. so as a group we decided to meet together today and talk to her about what was going on, rather than hear it from the professor. so today came (obviously) and we got together to talk. the first two girls who tried to explain what was going on just really beat around the bush, "well, we're meeting today to discuss why we all talked to the prof yesterday....we had to send an email about who-did-what, and she just wanted to verify what we had written." I could see that drama girl wasn't understanding, so I spoke up and told her point blank what had happened, and that we felt bad that we hadn't talked to her about sending the email beforehand, but that it wouldn't have changed what we had written, because it was the truth. she got up and left the classroom we were in.
I've talked to her since then, and found out that she got zero points for the paper, but she is still passing the class. the drama is that she thinks that we are all the worst people in the world (esp combining girl...who wishes she hadn't said anything at all, even though that would be academic dishonesty), and that she doesn't know if she wants to finish the program at all. blah...drama.
when she called me after class today (I asked her too) she kind of explained what she was feeling, which I tried to empathize with, but I refuse to feel bad (I know, jerk=laska). but I don't think that you should just ride through school like she has for this class. I don't think that excuses somehow get you out of doing your part, or at least get you out of the consequences of not doing your part. it's so infuriating. and she's my friend, so I don't want her to necessarily fail, but I don't think that I should work hard and let her get my good grade for doing nothing. pffff...
this is on top of the care plan cheating incident of fall 2007, the five students failing incident of fall 2007, and the cheat-on-a-reflection-paper of fall 2008 (seriously, someone cheated on a reflection paper...who does that??). there has also been minor skirmishes of drama nearly every day about something or other...the teacher doesn't understand that this is clinical, not theory...that test was really unfair...that kid who wrote our paper didn't do a good job...blah blah blah. I'm so very, very tired of it all.
it seems to be all around me...maybe I do create drama...
pictures! these are pics of grandma and grandpa (aka mom and dad) with adyson just after she was born. I don't get to see her too often, so sorry for the lack of new pics.

3 comments:
Sheesh, that is drama. I wouldn't really want to have a nurse that had cheated her way through school, even if the class was irrelevant. It is probably how she is in all of her classes. You guys did the right thing of course. Wondering what the best address is to send you our little Christmas greeting--Moses Lake or is there a different one? Let me know, thanks!
sad story but cute pictures!!! maybe on monday we can stop and see you!
Laska: Oh my....do I remember "drama days" - trust me, I think every class goes through them. My class at the time had a drama guy, I'll have to give you more details later, but it was a MESS! So frustrating, I know, but only a few more months to go and then you can move on to bigger and better things (and just experience job drama - HA, HA!) Hang in there! Are you done with finals, keep me posted.
Post a Comment